While there is no known sure way to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease, however there are a few methods that can be used to maintain brain health:
- Be socially active. Maintain old friendships and develop new ones
- Challenge your brain. Take a course, learn a new language, play games or do daily puzzles (crossword, sodoku etc.)
- Make healthy food choices. Follow Canada’s Food guide to ensure you are getting enough of each nutrient.
- Be physically active, get 30 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Reduce your stress and take time out of each day to do something that makes you happy.
- Protect your head. Wear safety gear when participating in activities that could lead to head injury.
- Maintain your health. Ensure conditions such as high blood pressure and cholesterol are treated appropriately.