The best way to prevent Lyme Disease is to avoid being bitten by a tick. These ticks are generally found near grassy and wooded areas with trees, shrubs and piles of leaves. Use these tips when heading outside in an area where ticks can be found:
• Use bug spray with DEET or icaridin
• Wear close-toe shoes, long sleeves and pants
• Walk on pathways
After being outside, check yourself, children, gear, and pets for ticks. Bathe when you arrive home and put clothes into a dryer for 10-20 minutes.
• There are 40+ species of ticks in Canada
• Lyme Disease is the main tick borne disease of concern in Canada
• When coming in from outside, you should always check yourself, children and pets for ticks