When we think about our health, we often forget about our eyes. However, keeping our eyes healthy into our golden years is very important to all of us! Here are a few tips for maintaining healthy eyes.
- Have a comprehensive dilated eye exam. Having your eyes dilated before examination allows visualization of the back of your eye, and early detection of potential disease.
- Eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish or taken in the form of a supplement help to maintain eye health as well.
- Stay physically fit.
- Protect your eyes when performing dangerous activities with protective eyewear.
- Wear sunglasses with UV-A and UV-B (broad spectrum) protection.
- Quit smoking.
- Wash your hands and your contact lenses properly to avoid infection.
- When working at a computer, give your eyes a rest every 20 minutes by looking at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
For more information on how to keep your eyes seeing their best visit http://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/basic_information/eye_health_tips.htm