- Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants if possible when outdoors.
- Use mosquito netting over infant strollers.
- Repair broken screen doors or windows to keep your house mosquito-free.
- Drain sources of standing water to reduce the amount of mosquito’s around your home.
Bug Spray FAQ’s
- The active ingredient in insect repellents is diethyltoluamide (DEET).
- Apply a mosquito repellant containing 30% DEET for optimal protection.
- DEET 30% can be used on anyone over the age of 2 months old.
- When applied properly DEET 30% will be effective for 4-6 hours.
- Spray on arms, legs and torso. To apply to face, spray into hands and rub onto face avoiding eyes, mouth and nose.
- Citronella can also be used as a mosquito repellant and is effective for 1 hour when applied.
Treatment of Bites
- Do not scratch bites, this can lead to infection. Rubbing will also make the bite itchier!
- If possible, wash the area with soap and water.
- Apply an ice pack, a cold cloth, or even a cold pop can to decrease the swelling.
- Calamine lotion, aloe vera and topical hydrocortisone 0.5% cream can all be used to decrease the itch.
- If the bites are to numerous to cover with creams, oral Benadryl can be used to decrease the allergic reaction and itching.
Ask your pharmacist for advice on how to treat your mosquito bites!
Pharmacist’s Product Recommendations
- Deep Woods Off