While there is no known sure way to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease, however there are a few methods that can be used to maintain brain health:
- Be socially active. Maintain old friendships and develop new ones
- Challenge your brain. Take a course, learn a new language, play games or do daily puzzles (crossword, sodoku etc.)
- Make healthy food choices. Follow Canada’s Food guide to ensure you are getting enough of each nutrient.
- Be physically active, get 30 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Reduce your stress and take time out of each day to do something that makes you happy.
- Protect your head. Wear safety gear when participating in activities that could lead to head injury.
- Maintain your health. Ensure conditions such as high blood pressure and cholesterol are treated appropriately.
In addition to these healthy activities, there are some over-the-counter supplements that may be used to maintain a healthy brain and aid in preservation of memory.
Ginkgo biloba is a Chinese herbal supplement that has been used for centuries as a memory and concentration enhancer. It has also been used to treat ringing of the ears and vertigo.
Fish oils have been increasing in popularity over the past few years. They are essential fatty acids that cannot be produced by the body and must be consumed. For Canadians who tend to eat very little fish, supplementing with Omega 3 can be very beneficial. Fish Oils have anti-inflammatory action and work to protect the brain, heart and joints.
The product Cognisure by Metagenics contains a proline-rich polypeptide complex that has anti-oxidant activity shown to prevent damage caused by oxidative stress. This product is intended to support healthy brain aging and cognitive function.
If you or a loved one is interested in using supplements to support memory and cognitive function speak with your pharmacist today. It is always important to check with your pharmacist to ensure that there are no interactions between any medications you use and over-the-counter supplements. Your pharmacist can help you select the right supplement and ensure that you take it at the proper dosage.
Ask your pharmacist today if a memory support supplement is right for you!